My little girl turned 4 this past weekend. I know to some that sounds so young, but I am still in shock that I have a 4 year old. That means that she would be starting Kindergarten next year and going off to school if I didn't homeschool (I don't think I could handle that). It's also a little sad that I can't claim that I have 3 kids 3 and under, which gives me an excuse to be a little crazy. Three kids under 4 just doesn't sound as intense. Guess I better step up my game. Time flies by and anyone who has kids can attest to that. While I don't remember much of my life before she came around, it has still gone by so fast.
While we are dealing with some typical 4 year old behaviors (like sassiness and independence), one thing I am thankful for is this girl's heart. She is very tender hearted and I treasure that about her. She thanks God for her baby brother in Ethiopia several times a day. She wants to go with us to get him, she wants to know when we are going to get him. Her sweet little 4 year old heart is already connected to his and I LOVE that. Does she fully understand what adoption is and what exactly we are doing? No. All she knows is that half way around the world is her brother, that she loves him, is thankful for him and wants him home with us. I am so grateful that even at such a young age, God is preparing this sweet little girl to be a great big sister to our boy. That she is so full of love and anticipation for him. That she calls out to the Father on his behalf. Our son is going to get some sweet siblings to love on him, and I think he and Dixie are going to share a really special bond.
This year Dixie got a special doll from her Dee Dee for her birthday. This doll comes along with a story about her country. Her name is Rahel and she is "from" Ethiopia. Dixie loved her immediately and wanted to read all about Ethiopia to her doll. I love finding little ways to connect our kids to their brother. Things that open conversation up about him, to learn about his culture and country. Of course for now it starts with little things like a doll, a globe, a picture, but one day we will be able to truly explain our heart for adoption to them and have them understand it.
If only brother knew that 8,568 miles away there was a curly headed, blue eyed, 4 year old, who will one day be his sister, praising God for his life. Thankful for this girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment