As he got older, I noticed that Daniel was not exactly going on the path that I had hoped. He was always so polite and well mannered to me, but I could tell that as he entered his teen years, he wasn't hanging out with the best crew, he was digging into several religious paths, and trying "things" he shouldn't be trying. About a year ago, I decided to start taking him on brother/sister dates. These were great times where just the two of us got to hang out, eat some delicious food, laugh and talk. Over time, Daniel became more and more open with me as he realized that while I did not agree with what he was doing, I was not going to condemn him, just share a better way.
I have always tried to pour into Daniel and pray for him to accept Jesus as his Lord and Savior. I could tell he was searching for something to fill that void and obviously nothing was. Every time we hung out, we made sure to speak life into him and share the gospel with him. It was tough sometimes as I didn't want to beat him over the head with something he was not ready to hear. It took a long time and a lot of prayer, but FINALLY one day he got it. His mom was also telling him about the forgiveness and love of Christ and one day, God awakened him to his power.
I will never forget the time that we went to dinner on one of our sibling dates and I asked "So how are you doing? What have you been up to?" He replied that he was doing really good and had been reading the Bible and discovering God's truths and accepting them. I almost choked on my P.F Chang's lettuce wraps. I couldn't believe that I was hearing those words. It was one of the BEST feelings in the world to know that my brother was getting it.
From that point on, he dug in, thirsty for the word and coming back refreshed and more alive than he had been in years, and I could see it in him. You see, when you recognize what Christ did on the cross for your sins and not only do you believe it, but you enter into a relationship with him, HE changes you. He won't let you stay where you are and trust me, you won't want to. If you are a believer, it should be evident. Seeing the change in my brother has been evident. He is a different person because of what Christ has done and how his relationship with God, through reading His word, is changing him.
I had the MOST AMAZING privilege of baptizing him a few weeks ago. We believe in a believer's baptism. Basically, there is no magic in the water, you are not saved by being dunked under the water. You are saved when you ask Christ into your heart, accept that he died for your sins, and enter into relationship with him. Baptism is simply a public proclamation to say that you believe this and are wanting others to hold you accountable to a gospel centered life. Because you have been ADOPTED into the family of God through Christ, you want to share it with the world.
Praising God that my little brother (he's actually taller than me), is now ADOPTED by God! There is no greater joy that I can have then knowing that my blood brother is now my Christian brother.
You can watch his awesome testimony on this Youtube link. My dear friend, Kallie also got baptized and she gives a great testimony too. Hers starts at the 2 minute mark and Daniel's starts at the 4:30 mark.

No comments:
Post a Comment